Monday, November 05, 2012

He's on his way

Tom got the call that he was leaving for NYC at 5 this morning just before I went out the door to work the dome yesterday.   It was SO hard to leave.  He had so much to do and I wasn't going to be there to help him.   I told him that I'd go shopping for food for him after I got home but he decided to go after dropping Val off at work.   He also found someone else to take his oncall for him since he didn't want to be going into work at 2am and having to be there again at 5.   He knows he'll be getting very little sleep this week and sleep is important to him.   Now that everything is all said and done I REALLY wish I'd just said forgetaboutit and stayed home like I wanted.   Tom was in bed by the time I got home.    Darn you late workers who left early and made it so we had to stay the whole time!!!!  I guess it's really my fault for thinking how things would/should go ahead of time and being disappointed that it didn't go as planned.   My new plan was to get up with Tom this morning but somehow he managed to get out of bed without waking me.    I didn't even get to say good-bye to him!  :o(    It's time like these that I wish he had texting abilities (county won't allow them to use it on their work phones).   I miss him already.  It's going to be a loooong week.

Eileen and Olivia did a pretty fine job of holding down the fort while I was gone.   They gave Sean and Danielle baths, cut Danielle's (and Olivia's) bangs, and were having tuna fish on crackers for dinner when I walked in the door.   Then I had to walk back out the door to pick up Val from work and Carrie from my BIL's house.   And wouldn't you know it but I went through a red light on the way home!   I don't know how  or why I did since I drive through there a bazillion times a day.    All I know is that I heard Val very calmly say...a red light and realized...oh yeah that's what I'm looking at.  I was already half way through the intersection when I slammed on my brakes.   Luckily it was when it was and there wasn't any trafffic around. And that the police were going in the opposite direction with their lights flashing a minute before that.   I was very glad to pull into the driveway, grab the kids and hop into bed!

Ahh it's getting light outside and I see a dusting of snow!  BRRRR!   I am not ready for this but I guess I'll have to be since there's a Nor'easter coming up the coast this week. (poor Tom and  NYC!)   I haven't heard what it's suppose to be bringing us yet so maybe we'll luck out.   Tom not so much though.  Last I knew he was going to be in the Coney Island/Brooklyn area.   I just looked on a map from Fri and they say those areas will be without power until the 11th!   I hope that's an overestimate and that this new storm doesn't undo what the repair crews have already done.  

Hmmm why does it take me so long to write here?    It's been over 3hrs since I started.  Just color me distracted.   The kids have now gone to school except Carrie who says she has a really bad headache......again.   At noon I'm taking Val to the thruway exit to meet some coworkers.  They are headed to Buffalo until tomorrow evening, so a little break from driving for me.  Of course I still have to go into the city since we're out of milk and I have to exchange Eileen's knee pads for volleyball.   We bought the more expensive ladies' version since they seemed thicker but they're too tight for her.   No one on the team wanted to trade her so back to the store they go.   And of course I don't have a receipt so we'll see how that goes.   I'll probably end up taking the less expensive ones for the price I paid for the original ones.  Oh well.

Guess I'm getting off here and getting something done.   I was thinking it would be nice if I could have our bedroom straightened up for Tom when he comes home from NYC.    Now if only I could figure out a way to make the work I've done in my head count....it would be done already three times over.    


No comments: