Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Whoooooooooaaaaaaaaa!

Things have been moving along here at a pretty good clip. I can't believe January is about over already. Our house has become a den of germs. It seems Group A Strep is running rampant through here. Olivia had it on the 9th and took all her meds. Luke tested + for it on the 23rd. I took Michelle, Eileen and Olivia into the dr's this last Friday. Michelle had what looked like pimples...one on her back and another on her knee get huge and really infected. She was put on antibiotics with the mention it's most likely strep and staph together. I had Eileen and Olivia's throats cultured.

The dr's office called on Saturday to let me know that the girls tested + for Group A strep(yes, Olivia AGAIN!). I informed them that I had a number of kids with two or more of the following symptoms...fever, headache, sore throat, upset stomach. By the time I had all the prescriptions filled everyone but Pat, Val and Danielle were on antibiotics.

Michelle's knee hasn't gotten better and she's still running a fever (since Friday) so we went back into the dr's on Monday. I took Danielle along too since she decided to run a 102 degree fever that night...along with hoarseness and being miserable. We're waiting on her throat culture results before starting meds. Michelle was given a second antibiotic to take. Her leg is killing her (back is clearing up) and is pretty swollen. If she still hasn't improved and/or is running a fever tomorrow she'll be going back to the dr. She's been informed the next option is admission to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I kinda think it should've already happened....but I'm willing to give this a shot.

It looks good for most or all of the kids to go back to school tomorrow. There are a few I'm ok with staying home if they don't feel up to it. Carrie and Liz mostly, they both were pretty sick this weekend.

As for regular everyday stuff around here...

Valerie is into her last week of volleyball. Thursday is her last game and it's a HOME one! It'll be fun to be able to see her last game. It'll be nice not to have a commitment every evening. I don't think any of the girls are interested in spring sports...so we'll be spared for a while.

Drew saw his finace Allison off to Italy on Saturday. She's studying abroad this semester and will be gone until the end of May. What fun! I don't know how she's doing it. I think I'd be scared senseless over it. I'm really happy she can have this opportunity though.

Pat started classes again last week. :o) It's nice to see him going again. He's not working right now since his old job was for morning hours. I'm not sure what his plans are in terms of employment right now.

Carrie has been admitted into the TODAY study (Treatment Options for type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents and Youth). We start it on Thursday. It'll be interesting to see how they want us to treat her. This'll be time consuming at first. I think there was mention of weekly classes for a while. I'm sure we'll know more when our appointment is over. With this illness I didn't have her do her glucophage (not suppose to take it when severely ill). Her numbers were great or low...especially for her. It doesn't help that she barely ate all weekend. Now that she's feeling a bit better, her numbers were starting to climb tonight.

No comments: