Friday, August 21, 2009

What!?! It's Friday already?

Wow that week went fast. That's ok this week since it means that when Tom gets home tonight....he'll be on vacation for a week! Woohoo! I've put in an order for next week to move at a snail's pace though. It's not like we have any big plans. It'll just be nice to see him be able to take it easy for a while.

Monday proved to be a pretty hot day and we spent it in the extremely hot van. I took Michelle to work, came home and picked up everyone else, went to the city so Val could put an application in for a job (which she got but now doesn't have...story later), got almost to my parents' when Val called and needed to be picked up, got her and finally made it to my parents for an hour or so, back in to pick up Michelle at work, run some errands, run home and grab Drew, take Drew to work, stop at McD's for a bite, onto Target so Val can look for clothes for her new job (needed khaki pants which she owns none of), then home...without the khaki pants, she refused to pay $20 for them. So we decided to try Marshalls the next day since she was suppose to start work on Wednesday.

Tuesday proved to be a bit of a bummer for Val. She got a call that the owner of the cafe that had hired her had already filled the position and never told anyone. So she didn't have a job. I was disappointed for her but also a bit relieved since that meant no worrying about arranging rides for me. Michelle bought a queen size mattress set at work. We spent a good 15 minutes wrestling it into the van! It barely fit. She's storing it until Val moves out, then it'll replace their bunkbeds in their/her room. This meant that the huge mess in the library from the great bedroom switch had to be taken care of. So Michelle started in on it after getting home and worked on it for quite a while Tuesday night. I took over on Wednesday afternoon. It took ALL day but it's DONE! Sean is loving his drawer of cars and has discovered a few Thomas the Train pieces to take possession of. Danielle has been happily playing with the kitchen things. They even ran on the treadmill now that there's a place for it. I like walking in there and seeing it all clean, knowing where to find what I'm looking for, etc. It's made me want to get my bedroom and laundryroom taken care of.

And now Friday is almost a memory. I've done a ton of laundry and taken care of stray baskets of clothes around here. The livingroom is as mess! I haven't picked up the floor or swept today and there are a lot of baskets of laundry waiting to go to various bedrooms. I still have a lot to do around here, especially if we're going to refinance the house which means we need to get it appraised. So we need to spruce up the place a notch or two.

I am VERY thankful that Tom has a job and probably always will no matter how bad the economy is. Even if he had to knock down a ton of people and take the job he held 10 years ago....he'd still have an income, albeit almost half of what he's making now. But things with the county are not great and there are things that will effect us financially. He'll probably be losing his county truck, so we'll need to buy, insure and gas up another car. I know....it's a perk and they're talking about offering them mileage instead. But still, he doesn't make nearly as much as the private sector does so I considered that part of his pay. They are also talking about layoffs (but see above) and making everyone take a 44 day furlough without pay. Now THAT would hurt us, big time. We're not really making ends meet now, so to lose almost a day of pay a week...OUCH! So we're considering refinancing the house even though it goes against everything we're worked for. (paying everything off so Tom can retire in 4plus years...only have 7 yrs left on the house!) I keep assuring Tom that we can pay extra toward the house and it doesn't have to last as long as the mortgage is. I know how much a month I'd need to pay toward it to have it paid off when we want. I also promised I'd go to work if we couldn't swing things when he wants to retire. He's come the closest to agreeing to doing it then he ever has, so we'll see how things go.

Thursday Carrie had her TODAY study appointment. They weren't happy with us not keeping up on her meds. It's so hard when we don't have a routine or she's always on the go. They kept asking...can you put the medicine near where she eats? No, the little ones will get it. Near her toothbrush...no, again the little ones. Besides we keep the medicine on the computer desk about 2 ft from our noses. We'd be dead if it was a snake. I'm not sure how much more in our face it can be. I know once school starts things will go better for her in it. She did admit that she balks at it because it makes her gag (they are horse pills). So unless I put them right into her hand, she "forgets". Over all though her numbers weren't too bad. I can't help but wonder if she'd have been showing symptoms and diagnosed by now if I hadn't caught her high numbers like I did. (fooling around with my glucometer during my pregnancy with Danielle)

And NOW it's Tuesday!!! UGH! When will I ever get a post out on the day I start it?

Saturday was spent at my parents' house. My sister and her girls (and my Eileen since she had her) were there too. My brother wasn't there as his neck is really bothering him. He has a herniated disc in his neck which he's having surgery for today (oops! I forgot to call him like I wanted to...yeah I'm a sucky sister). Oh well I can say a prayer for him at least. We stayed way too late as usual but yet it didn't seem long enough.

Tom's on vacation this week! YAY! Sunday we decided to spend it around the house. Today we're going to a state park in the afternoon. First we have to pick Michelle up from work (she switched her hours so it would work out) and I have to take Carrie and Sean into their dr's appt. I was tempted to cancel it but it's the 2nd or 3rd time I've rescheduled it already. Carrie hasn't been seen by him in forever (even though she sees someone at least every 3mos) and Sean is behind in his shots.

The rest of the week is full of opportunities....the beach, the fair, bonfires, camping in the yard or in the neighbors "gravel pit", the state fair, the drive-in. Oh yeah and we can't forget....Danielle's birthday! She'll be 4 tomorrow! Ontop of fitting as much fun into the week as possible, I'm also trying to finish the baby shower gifts for Saturday (party for 3 nieces) . 2 of the big gifts and 2 smaller of the ones are done. I have confidence that the last big gift will be finished, just not what else I had in mind.

On that note, I guess I better get this posted and off my fanny so I can get done what needs to be done to get out the door.

No comments: