Friday, February 26, 2010

Tavel Advisory

I was tossing and turning since 3:15 this morning. I finally managed to sneak out of bed without waking anyone at 5:30. Peeking out the window I saw a slow snowfall. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the morning news to see school closings listed. Even more surprising was seeing the BIG districts listed. I thought they were being ridiculous, especially when the newswoman reporting live outside one district started talking about how bad the snow was falling. All I could think was...she's obviously not from this area. It was later reported that the closings were based on weather reports for the bus drive home. Just a few minutes before 6, our district popped up on the list. YAY! I'll take a snow day any way I can get it. Although as of right now I think they would've probably been ok going. Tom walked out the door at 6:30 encouraging me to have Michelle call into work. While the drive there might be ok, it's suppose to be the worst weather when it's time to pick her up at 9pm. She finally called them at 2:02. She was worried she'd get written up because she's suppose to call 2hrs ahead of time (she was due to work at 4). Her boss said she was close enough...phew!

Right now Michelle's getting everyone riled up. She's made a chore list and told them if they get it done...we'll have an electricity free night. It involves candlelight only lighting, camping out on the livingroom floor, board games and maybe a dance party by a battery operated radio. It's amazing how much and how fast they can work with the right motivation.

Never posted this...it's the next day

We had a fun night. My making pizza ended up being overridden by the Michelle, Carrie and Luke who made dinner. We had eggs in a basket (bread formed into a basket in muffin tins, filled with an egg and then baked) and soup. With the soup all I could think of was the stone soup story. They started with bouillon and just kept adding things...it was really good and filling. They also made a cinnamon sugar coated trail mix for our snack along with grapes and lemon slices.

After dinner we sat around telling stories and then we did round robin stories. It's where one person starts the story and then the next person adds onto it. For some reason our stories seemed to always include a janitor, diarrhea, and axes. With no lights on in the house, you could see how bright it was outside. More then once someone mentioned turning off the outside porch light. We could see Tom outside trying to gain on the snowfall. Wasn't happening, even if the neighbor came over with his tractor and cleared the driveway before Tom got home. Tom asked/suggested/told me I wasn't going anywhere in the morning. Luckily I had no plans to leave the house. The night ended with a huge dance party and air guitar session. It was after 11 before we all started heading to bed. I was banking on the kids having at least a 2 hour delay in the morning.

We got the 2 hour delay! Then it changed into a snow day...no school! Woohooo! And as I type this the next door neighbor is outside clearing the driveway with his tractor. (it's 8am btw) So the kids get a break with no shoveling in their near future (snow has stopped for now). The amazing thing is, true to form...a few of the kids were up and raring to go even before they normally grumble out of bed for school! lol Luke and Jake are glad to have the extra time today. They're doing laundry, getting ready to go to young brother's weekend at church this weekend. I'm working on a new afghan, planning on getting some kitchen work done and maybe even head off into my room...even if it's to organize my yarn and fabric. Oh and make cookies that never got made yesterday. The no electricity party food prep team took over the kitchen last night and kicked the about to be cookie makers (Eileen and Jake) out.

And awaaaaaay we go!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great!

We had a snow day on Wednesday, but only a two hour delay today. Everyone but Sylvia is gone.

Karen

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the posts and pictures that you have been posting. Just letting you know that I read them. Really wish that I was there for the no electricity night!!! Sounds really fun. Missing you guys! <3 send my love. your daughter in Norge, Liz.