Sunday, April 29, 2012

Well that's a new one

Around here we can have dinner pretty late, especially during the summer.  But last night I hit a new late night dinner time.... 11:30!   I walked in the door, scarfed down 2 pieces of lasagna (inquired why they didn't bother to cut into the $7 of fresh bread nor touch all the fresh greens I'd bought for salad to go with it) and then fell into bed.  You'd think I'd sleep until next week but I was awake by 5:30 and finally got up at 6:30.   Meg was crying by 6:45 so I had her hang out with me.  Her mommy and daddy needed to sleep in.  They'd only had a few hours of sleep the night before and Saturday was even harder for them.  

Drew and Allison had Tom, Luke, Jake, Cory and my nephew Joey helping them load up the Uhaul.  I lucked out and only had to go to the apartment once, when I picked up Meghan.   I took Tom, Luke and Jake to the small city to pick up the Uhaul and they drove it to the apartment.   They needed to take two trips to get everything.  Their storage unit is stuffed!   I just kept thinking....I'm glad it's not me having to do this.  What would I get rid of? Keep?  How and where would you store 23yrs (in this house) and 12 kids worth of stuff?  It was pretty late when they got here to drop off things so most of their stuff is sitting in a pile in the living room.  They managed to set up Meghan's crib and throw their box spring and mattress on the floor for the night.  Right now they are enjoying (I hope) some down time with her family for birthday celebrations.   Me, I'm sitting here for a few minutes.  Already this morning I've done... 2 loads of laundry, scrubbed the entire tub and one toilet, fed and gave baths to the 3 little ones, washed dishes, and cooked egg and bagel sandwiches.   After Meghan's bath she needed a new diaper but the disposables were in the bedroom with her sleeping parents.  So I grabbed her cloth diaper and cover out of her diaper bag.  (Allison was using the disposables during the busy moving time)  It's been a loooong time since I've had to pin a diaper on a little one.  Luckily Meghan was a doll and just lounged on my lap until I was done.   Although I think I saw her roll her eyes and heard her chuckle once ;o)   Give me a few days and I'll be an old pro again.

So today I'm trying to get some semblance of order in this place.  Not only do I have the kids stuff piled high but I haven't been here in a few days and we've been moving rooms/tearing areas apart trying to rearrange things which always manages to make messes too.  Right now I'll be concentrating on the kitchen and a few storage areas that I wanted to make available for Allison to utilize.   Then there are toys I want to clean up, mostly doll house stuff that's been sitting in the closet.  I saw Meghan eyeing the tote this morning.  I think her, Dylan and Sean would have fun playing with it on Monday.   Tom just let me know his friend is coming over in a little bit to work on his riding mower that won't start.   I wish he would also work on the van.   I don't think I can fit 3 car seats across the back of the Elantra so we won't be able to go anywhere as long as Dylan is here during the day.    Who knows though, I may try it and find out I was mistaken, which would be awesome!

Well, my coffee cup is empty so I guess my break is over.   Time to switch laundry and whip the kitchen into shape again!            

No comments: