Thursday, April 08, 2010

Feeling better

I woke up on Wednesday with a really bad headache. The kind where you try not to move your head because if you'll barf. But there was still kids to get up and things needed to be done. The first trip got out the door and I was getting Olivia going when the phone was Carrie...could I pick her up, the stairs hurt her knee too much. She fell the night before and landed squarely on them. So I told her I'd be there as soon as I could but it would probably be 30-45mins as Olivia wasn't on the bus yet. Michelle heard the phone conversation and got out of bed so I could go. I downed some Ibuprofen and jumped in the shower which helped deaden the pain to a dull roar.

With Carrie home and Michelle up early, I decided to take advantage of things. I got the girls to take Danielle and Sean outside to enjoy the awesome weather. Then I got busy and painted the kitchen ceiling! The climbing on and off the counters, standing on a chair, working over my head. UGH!!! I hadn't done it in quite a few years and the job really accented that I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I made a mess! While standing on the counters and painting over the cupboards, my hair got stuck in the wet paint. I started to look like Cruella Deville. I never remember having so much paint run off my paint pad before. I'm blaming the paint, yeah it's the paint! I kept wanting to stop and take a break but then I'd decide to do...just one more section. I've done the worst part of the living looks a lot brighter in there. I was tempted to try to get away with only doing that. Then I looked at the rest of the area a bit closer and noticed that I really shouldn't try that. So we'll press on, just not today.

Today I woke up with a headache again but not as bad. After being up and about, having coffee and few ibuprofen it was better, less of a roar as yesterday but not totally gone. I got to work as soon as my feet touched the floor. I cleaned off the addition stairs and both bathrooms. I sorted a hall full of laundry and was starting in the kitchen when my dad pulled into the driveway. He was due here at 11 but was half an hour early. I scrambled to throw on a pot of coffee as he came in the door. He was looking at our electricity. We haven't had any service to a few front walls in quite a long while.

First we had to figure out which breaker went to where. Then we tested the breakers and they were all good. The outlets were dead though so somewhere between the breaker and the first outlet in the circuit there was probably a broken wire. We thought to replace the wire but we were pretty sure BIL stapled the wires to the wall studs when he did the work. We talked about opening the wall to get to the wires....but decided to play around with it a bit more. After running a few tests we finally figured out that the outlets got power after you reset the breakers, it lost it as soon as you plugged something back to the breakers we was bad. Phew! An easy fix! I called the hardware store in the village and they told me they didn't have the exact part but had something that would work. I sent Michelle and Cory up there and when they got didn't fit. So my dad and I returned that one and then went to the next village's hardware store and found something that would work. We got back with a few minutes to spare before Michelle had to go to work. As Michelle and I walked out the door, my dad was screwing everything back together. He didn't wait for me to get back like I'd hoped he would, but I understand why not. I'm sure he was as exhausted as I was from all the stair climbing and such. So no more extension cords running all over the place for us! Another thing crossed off the todo list...THANK YOU DAD!!!

Now we're working on getting Eileen and Carrie ready for their trip tomorrow. They're going to Ottawa for the weekend with a group of girls. It sounds like they have a lot of fun planned. I have to remember to have Tom sign a note for them to be able to cross the border before he goes to bed. Otherwise they'll have to stay home. I'm hoping once we have the house refinanced that Me, Tom, Luke, Carrie, Jake, Eileen and Olivia can get our passports. I figure Danielle and Sean won't be going abroad anytime soon and can wait. The other ones are more likely to go to Canada, Norway or the like in the next few years. It occurred to me in the middle of the night last night...What if Carrie or Eileen gets hurt in Canada and has to be admitted the hospital? While we're giving the girls that are taking them medical authorization...Neither Tom nor I could cross the border to relieve them of that responsibility if we needed to...not good!

I am SO looking forward to this weekend....maybe a little too much. It's the first and almost the last Saturday that I'll have free until June (I think May 1st is free but it's in between a late Friday night concession at the dome and us hosting Allison's bridal shower on not very relaxing). I keep thinking of all these things we can do or get done on Saturday. Michelle said she wants Tom and I to use our gift card and go to Red Lobster for dinner. Seeing as I just double checked the calendar and what I wrote above is true....I think we will! Otherwise we'll never get there.

OK it is 4.5hrs after I started this. My mind is mush after writing notes and filling out forms. I feel like I had to write a novel when writing Carrie's medical info. I hope they don't have any problems crossing the borders...we really need our passports!

No comments: