Sunday, March 14, 2010

It is done enough!

YAY! My room is the cleanest it's been in over 10 years. There are still some areas that need to be taken care of but they aren't in jeopardy of overtaking the room again, so it's ok. I spent most of yesterday weeding out the filing cabinet and going through boxes of papers. Each of the kids, Tom and I each have our own file in the cabinet for important and memorable papers. The kids really enjoyed getting their files out and looking over things. Especially their journals and books they wrote during Young Author's Week. (I wish our school still did that) I found the receipt for our very first computer I bought for Christmas of '97...a 233 with MMX capabilities, the new and upcoming thing you never heard about after that year. Price tag..$1523.00!!!! Thing is, I was so proud of how cheap I got it for! lol

Now I want to clean off the paper clutter on my computer desk. It was so hard to stay on track. I just wanted to sit on the floor and thumb through my years of cross stitch magazines. They looked like so much fun! But I didn't. I sorted them by year and filed them away...why, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll start it back up again. It did remind me that there were some designs in there that could inspire afghans!

I have mostly Olivia to thank for pushing on at the end and taking care of the little things that are so hard to figure out what to do with. Drew and Allison had stopped by last night and wanted to talk about the wedding. Allison pointed out that she only has 64 days left and she didn't even have the guest list nailed down yet. She'd like to get the invitations printed out and mailed by the end of the week. So while I sat out here talking with them, Olivia worked away in my bedroom...clearing off my dresser, picking up all my little piles of stuff waiting to be dealt with, etc. Her and Eileen finished it up for good this afternoon.

We took the wooden toddler bed out of their room and moved it to the foot of my bed. The hope is that eventually Sean will acclimate to being in bed by himself and actually use the thing. He seems excited enough. Last night when we were talking about it he told me...Me get a big big boy bed mom...You sleep on top bunk!

So with Allison and Drew here, I didn't make it over to church for the sister's gathering. They've been to our house 2 Saturdays in a row to talk to us and we haven't been here...I just didn't feel right leaving them in the middle of everything. Spacewise they are going to be tight. The place holds 180 max so they're figuring 150 comfortably. With just immediate family and aunts and uncles (no cousins) they had 90+ people. They were torn about what to do about the cousins. After much discussing and gnashing of teeth I think we've finally settled on 21yo and up only. They also didn't include...and guest when inviting a lot of single people. I'm sure some feelings are going to be hurt, like my sister's girls. But we can only do so much with the room we have. Who knows, we may get a look at the place and figure we can fit more then we thought and change things with the cousins. We'll have to look at it first (it's closed for the winter until next month). It kills me to leave anyone out and with me doing the food, cost to add more won't be THAT much more.

Allison is having a friend of the family make her wedding dress. We'd talked about what style she was thinking of. She mentioned liking something strapless but it might be risky for her body type. I suggested maybe a shawl to wear over it. So that's what I've been doing with my online time....looking at crochet shawl patterns. I think I might try to get something started tomorrow.

My idea that my bedroom being taken care of would make me feel better and change my attitude about the whole house was correct! It's so nice to wake up and not have to try to figure out HOW I'll get in there and take care of the disaster area that day, only to fail. I actually like being in my room! I WANT my house to look the same. And I don't have to worry about my bedroom door being closed everytime someone walks in the front door!

And true to form, the rest of the house has fallen down around everyone in the meantime. My next goal is to finish taking care of the spackling and clean up the stairs really well. Then move onto the main hall. It's where residual piles of clothes from my room ended up. I really should go to the laundromat one of these days too. I have 2 - 5 gallon pails of paint in the basement. One is an Antique white Behr for the halls and the other is flat white for the ceilings from the last time we painted. I could get a good portion of the painting done without purchasing anything but paint pads.

Well I've nodded off here a few times midsentence so need to get my fanny into bed.

1 comment:

~Tammy~ said...

Yay, Kim! I love the feeling of major accomplishment! Have a great week!