Saturday, September 11, 2004

We've survived

The first week of school is over and we're all still ok. I had a small glitch this morning when I woke up early, thought....Oh good it's Saturday! and went back to bed. Val woke me up telling me it was late about 15mins before the bus came. Luckily we didn't have to rush to get out the door.

Next week is a full week...UGH! I have everyone's backpack on ignore...not a good way to keep up on everything like I was so proud of in an earlier post. As long as it gets done by Sunday night I guess we're all good. Although I think some people have until Friday to do their homework...have to read all the papers they brought home for me!!! The area above my desk is starting to fill up again with menus and schedules, etc. The kids have been going to bed really well these last few days!!! I'm not sure if it's the excitement of school or they're exhausted! LOL As long as I can keep up the routine of getting dinner done at a decent time...I'm hoping we'll be ok. But don't hold me to it! LOL

Next week also starts the hard chore...trying to get Carrie up an hour early and out the door. She starts Sunrise Scholars (a reading assistance program for 3rd and 4th graders) on Monday. She needs to ride in on the first trip bus, instead of the second one. After she was really sick last winter it was quite difficult for her to get up every morning and hardly attended. We can't let that happen again this year. It's wasting a spot that someone else could fill.

Speaking of Carrie...I just have to state...I HATE being the mom of a cancer survivor sometimes. For the most part it's a not a big deal, but days like last Friday and today....I wish I was ignorant about cancer. At the fair on Friday she kept complaining that her knee and hip were hurting and at times had a difficult time with walking. After wracking my brain trying to think of what she could have done to be sore (we hadn't walked that much) my thought is...relapse. I kept gauging her all day...trying to watch her without her noticing. Luckily she didn't complain about it after that day...until this morning! Her knee is bothering her again. I'll definitely have to mention it at her 6mo checkup in October. (will take her in if it gets to be a regular thing though) For all I know it could be a relapse of her rheumatic fever type arthritis she had in Feb after her bought of meningitis. Then again....it could be just normal aches and pains. Wish I could automatically think it's the last one.

I think it's also on my mind because I'm following 8mo Allie's fight against AML and through her bone marrow transplant. Her mom announced this week that they've stopped medical intervention for her and are only keeping her comfortable. I thank Allie's mom for allowing us all into a very difficult and private part of her life. It was a blessing to get to know and love Allie. I'm so sorry that the time with her dd is so short. She is a very special little girl. My thoughts and prayers go out to the whole family.

No comments: